Saturday, September 6, 2014

Veggie Butternut Squash & Lentil Curry



I need to get myself back on diet track! It's fair to say I've kind of let myself go and relaxed the strict diet of earlier this summer. With weddings and all over, the diet was relaxed a little, and then a lot. I found each week was a slippier slope.

To try and combat this, I tried a new take on a light curry this week in an effort to kick start my healthy eating plan again. I found with this dish I didnt need rice or noodles or potatoes; the addition of the lentils was great as it really bulked up the meal.


This is a meat free curry. We should all try to eat more veggies. I say that to my husband and he'll look the other way, averting his ears. Even if he doesn't like vegetables, it never stops me cooking meat free dishes for myself. In fact usually I make it for two and keep the second portion for the following day's lunch. Well that's what I tell myself; however going for seconds in my house is a given and leftovers for the following day are slim pickings. In fact its the only thing that's slim these days!!

Here is my guilt free healthy curry!!

Serves 2-3 ( or just Serena)

Ingredients

  • 1/2 a butternut squash, peeled and cubed
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 1 garlic clove, grated
  • 1 lemongrass bulb, bruised and sliced finely
  • 1 peeled thumb size piece of ginger
  • 1 red pepper, sliced
  • 5-6 mushrooms, sliced
  • 1/2 courgette, sliced into half moons
  • 6 tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 tsp of curry powder
  • 1 red chilli, deseeded
  • 1 tbsp of low fat natural yogurt
  • Juice of a lime
  • 100g of red lentils
  • 1 tsp of rapeseed oil
  • Chopped coriander to garnish



Method

  1. Put a wok/saute pan on a medium heat and heat up the oil.
  2. Fry the onion, ginger, garlic, lemongrass, and chilli in the oil and the curry powder.
  3. Stir fry the squash, red pepper, mushrooms, courgette for a couple of minutes.
  4. Add the tomatoes and a tbsp of water. Stir and allow the tomatoes to cook down.
  5. Cook the lentils according the instructions; usually you rinse them in water and then bring to the boil in a saucepan and simmer for 20 minutes, before draining them.
  6. Let the tomatoes cook for 10-15 minutes and add the yogurt, lentils, lime juice.
  7. Sprinkle with the chopped coriander and serve.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...