Friday, May 2, 2014

Paleo Friendly Asian Turkey Lettuce Cups - Bread-free Sambos




When taking on this new Paleo way of life, one of the main things I knew I would miss is my beloved bread!! I am addicted to sandwiches! When I used work in Galway I went to McCambridges on Shop Street EVERYDAY for my sambo at lunch. I used be morto when I used to go through the doors as the ladies behind the counter knew my order precisely. I live for sandwiches at lunch.



Even recently I've been having hummus on crackers for my lunch, both of which are a no! no! on the Paleo diet. I thought I would find it tricky but in fact, it's been fun eating outside my comfort zone for lunch. I bulk cooked and some of it lasted 3 days in tubberware in the fridge. I have to say, the body feels good without bread, bloat free. I must to admit I do still crave and miss bread however; but that's where my cheat meals at the weekend will save me.

Now on with this fabulous healthy, zingy and fresh lunch. I couldn't believe how full I felt after it, and I managed to stretch it for 3 lunches.



Ingredients

  • 250g of minced turkey meat
  • 1 garlic clove, chopped finely
  • 1 stick of lemongrass, bruised and chopped finely
  • 1 thumb size piece of ginger, peeled and chopped finely
  • 1 red deseeded red chili, chopped
  • 1 tbsp of mint/corriander, freshly chopped
  • 2 tbsp of oil
  • 1 tsp of fish sauce
  • Juice of a lime
  • 2 tbsp of coconut flakes
  • 1 tbsp of toasted sesame seeds
  • 1 large handful of spinach leaves
  • 1/4 of a peeled mango, diced
  • 4-5 leaves of baby gem lettuce



Method

  1. Place the garlic, ginger, chilli, lemongrass, herbs and oil in and mini blender and pulse until liquidised to a paste.
  2. Cook the paste for a few minutes on a high heat in a wok/skillet.
  3. Put the turkey mince in the wok/skillet and stir fry until browned and loosened.
  4. Add the fish sauce, coconut and sesame seeds and continue to stir fry.
  5. Finally, turn off the heat and wilt in the spinach and finish with the lime juice.
  6. Arrange the lettuce leaves cup-side up.
  7. Distribute the mango pieces amongst the lettuce cups
  8. Spoon the turkey mince over the mango and finish with some more lime juice perhaps.


Note: Large pieces of iceberg lettuce leaves work well here too, use them as roll ups as you might use a flour tortilla wrap perhaps.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...