This recipe is not paleo friendly by any means, but cheating a couple of times a week is allowed. But here's an idea, if you don't want to eat the bread, why not use thick cucumber slices cut on the diagonal as the base instead. I only made this yesterday for the first time and already I know I will be making very often for my B&B guests.
- 1 day old french baguette cut into slices, on the diagonal
- 250g of hulled strawberries, sliced
- 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp of white sugar
- 6-7 basil leaves, shredded
- 1 carton of ricotta cheese
- 2tbsp of honey, and extra to drizzle
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and place the baguette slices on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Toast for 5-6 minutes, keeping eye they don't burn.
- Mix the strawberries with the sugar and vinegar and place in a oven dish and bake for 10 minutes in the oven. Then remove and allow to cool completely. You can prepare both the bread and strawberries a day in advance if you cool completely and store separately in air tight containers.
- Add the honey to the cheese and whip up with a fork.
- Spread a generous amount of ricotta over the crostinis. Add the shredded basil to the strawberry mixture and top the ricotta with the balsamic strawberries. Drizzle with a little more honey if desired.