Monday, January 6, 2014

Chinese Style Roast Chicken




New year, new roast chicken version!! Anyone who knows me, know that I'm obsessed with Roast Chicken and I roast a large (free range) chicken every single Sunday. Not only does it cover Sunday supper, but it provides for lunch and dinner the following day also.


Over Christmas I saw Gordon Ramsey do a 5 spice duck, and it inspired me to try a different take on my roast chicken. The result was a very flavorful bird and I added a glaze at the end, which gave it a wonderful bronzed glow and deliciously sticky skin!

Ingredients

  • 1 large free range chicken
  • 1 thumb size piece of ginger
  • 1 red chili, kept whole
  • 1 satsuma, pricked with a fork
  • 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
  • 1 lemongrass bulb, bruised
  • 3 tbsp of Chinese 5 spice
  • 2 tbsp of honey
  • 2 tbsp of soy sauce



Method

  1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees.
  2. Stuff the chicken cavity with the chilli, ginger, garlic, satsuma and lemongrass.
  3. Rub the chicken generously with the 5 spice.
  4. Leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
  5. Roast in the oven for 1 hour.
  6. After 1 hour, turn the chicken upside down and roast for a further 30 minutes.
  7. Turn the chicken back over and roast for another 10 minutes.
  8. Whisk the honey and soy sauce together.
  9. Turn the oven up to 200 degrees.
  10. Pour over the honey and soy glaze and return to the oven, glazing the chicken every 5 minutes for 20 minutes.
  11. Take out of the oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes before carving.
  12. Serve with steamed greens and brown rice for a healthy roast chicken dinner.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am going to give this a trial run at the week end for my hubby and I. I'm sure it will go down a treat so then I'll cook it again the following weekend for a double celebration of my mother in-law's birthday and Mother's Day. Ill let you know how it tastes.. Cant wait!!

Unknown said...

The chicken was very flavoursome, it went down a treat. We can't wait for round two tomorrow!!! For fellow followers of Serena's blog this is a must for your next roast chicken dinner day!!!

Serenacronin said...

Delighted you liked it! Roast chicken done any way is my favorite dinner

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...