Sunday, June 24, 2012

Sika's Simple Irish Pancakes


Sika Lodge's pancakes are by far the most requested breakfast option for the kitchen. It must be 60-70% of guests go for the pancakes surprisingly. In fact, a very surprising fact is that the 'Full Irish' is the least requested breakfast option!!! I know, I was shocked too!!!!!

A request from past guests (namely the utterly fabulous Lenochs from Kansas) for my pancake recipe, has prompted me to put the recipe I use daily up on the blog. I previously blogged about pancakes (low fat version), however this recipe has evolved from testing and re testing measurements. This batter I think is the perfect batter and I can now make this in my sleep. zzzzzzzz........

My mom always believed that pancakes taste best when the batter has 'rested'. Its for this reason that I always make the batter just before bed time.

The batter is simple to make, and it's just flour, eggs, milk, baking powder. If you have little kiddies, this is a great recipe to use to get them involved in cooking in the kitchen (under supervision of course)

Makes 9 pancakes

Ingredients


  • 100g of flour
  • 1 large egg
  • 300ml milk
  • 1 tsp of baking powder
  • 1 tsp of salt
  • 1 tbsp of sugar (optional)



Method


  1. Sieve the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar into a bowl.
  2. Pour the milk into a jug and whisk the egg into the milk.
  3. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and using a wooden spoon, pour the milk mixture into the well and stir the flour into the liquid.
  4. Keep stirring until the mixture is smooth (you may use an electric blender if you are short on time).
  5. Pour the mixture into a jug and keep over night (if you have the time but the batter is just as good for immediate consumption)
  6. To make the pancakes, get a non stick pan on a medium heat.
  7. Pour a tbsp oil (sunflower or vegetable) into  the batter and mix through.
  8. Add a knob of butter and a tsp of oil to the pan.
  9. Use a ladle as the measure.
  10. Pour a ladle full of batter into the pan and swirl until the pan is evenly coated.
  11. You know the pancake is ready to flip when little air holes appear on the cooking pancake. This is normally 1-2 minutes. The pancake should come away easy from the pan, if it sticks, its not ready for flipping!!!
  12. Flip and cook for a further minute or so on the other side.
  13. Remove and keep covered in foil in a warm oven, while you repeat the process with the rest of the pancakes.


I serve my pancakes with Irish strawberries (in season) and maple syrup. But my own personal favourite accompaniment for this recipe is simple - lemon juice and a sprinkle of caster sugar, old fashioned I know, but its the pancakes that we grew up on, and how mammy used to serve them. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...