Saturday, October 15, 2011

Everything Happens for a Reason Low Fat Spring Rolls


I'm currently testing recipes for my entry to Chef Factor 2011. For some reason I'd decided on Steamed Thai Dumplings as my winning dish, having never cooked them before, it probably wasn't one of my better ideas. Anyways, I've my wonton wrappers purchased and I was only dying to use and show off my bamboo steamer. After getting my filling prepped, I set about filling and wrapping my dumplings. Even though I had sought advise in Masterchef food forum earlier today, I still managed to flup them up! The filling in the my precious and gently wrapped dumpings became one with the bamboo it lay on. Luckily I did use my head for a split second and tested two dumplings in different manners, but I had to admit defeat not wanting to waste anymore yummy spicy prawn filling. So last minute I banged on the oven and rolled up the filling into spring rolls, threw together a spicy Thai inspired dipping sauce,and saved the day (well the rest of my prawn filling anyway) with my Low Fat  Oven Baked Prawn Spring Rolls, which were so delicious, I actually do believe that these spring rolls were a part of the 'everything happens for a reason' philosphy......as they were so incredibly tasty.....who needs Thai Spicy Dumplings anyways.....

Serves 2

Ingredients

  • 4 wanton wrappers
  • Spray oil
  • Dipping sauce


Filing


  • 150g of cooked prawns
  • 1 lemongrass stalk, diced
  • 1/2 red chilli, deseeded and diced
  • 1 thumb size piece of ginger, grated
  • 4 spring onions, diced
  • 3 tbsp chopped coriander
  • 1 garlic clove, grated
  • zest of a lime
  • Juice of 1/2 a lime


Dipping Sauce


  • 2 spring onions, diced
  • 1 garlic clove, grated
  • 5 tbsp rice vinegar
  • 1 tbsp of fish sauce
  • Juice of a lime
  • 1/2 deseeded red chili, diced
  • 2 tbsp of soy sauce
  • 1 tsp of sweet chilli sauce
  • 1/2 tbsp of chopped coriander


Method



  1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees
  2. In a mini blender and all the filling ingredients at one, pulse 5 or six times.
  3. Line a baking tray with baking paper
  4. Spoon a tbsp of the mixture into the centre of the wanton wrapper
  5. Wet your finger tips, and light dampen the edges of the wrapper.
  6. Roll the wrapper over the mixture, creating a sausage like shape, bringing the edge into the centre
  7. Bring the sides of the wrapper into the centre, and roll the wrapper once more over the opposite end.
  8. Spray with the wrappers with low cal spray, to get a golden colour.
  9. Bake in the oven for 7-8 minutes.
  10. Meanwhile, in a bowl, simply combine all the dipping ingredients together and stir well.

Now, I'm glad the I messed the dumplings up!!!







No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...